Saturday, June 8, 2019

Step One For Weight Loss- Food!

Hello, Everyone!  There are five basic steps to my weight loss:

1. My relationship with Food
2. Exercise
3. Water
4. Support
5. Mindset

Today is about my food choices and how I eat are fundamental to losing the weight.  Now, I eat anything I want, and I'm finding that I am naturally, over time, choosing healthier options.  When I don't choose a healthy option, I eat a very small amount.  Portion control is my secret.  Never thought I would be able to eat a handful of chips or a small bag of caramel M&Ms!  However, a little satisfies me.  It seems that following what I want to eat, instead of denying myself, I drop it faster.  I just eat in little amounts, grazing throughout the day.

It took me a long time to get my stomach to this stage of eating.  I need to be really hungry when I eat.  I have a formula.  It's called the Who-What-Why-When-Where- and How food plan.

Who I eat with is important.  I choose only people I feel comfortable around to eat.  Eating should be enjoyable.  I remember the days of eating celery in the kitchen, while my family was eating in the living room.  No way to love food!

What I eat is important, of course, so I make sure I have plenty of good things to balance what junk I do eat.  There is no typical day for me with food, because the situations of life change daily, and that's one reason I think diets are too rigid.  You have to be flexible with food.

Why I eat is an important question to answer.  I don't eat anymore because of boredom, any current emotion I'm having, or for any other reason than the fact that I am hungry.  That's the main reason I wait to eat.  I have to make sure that I need to eat.

When am I eating?  All day long.  I don't put meals at a set time.  It's too rigid.  You may not be hungry at mealtime, so why eat?  We, as Americans, do a load of eating when we aren't even hungry.  We clean our plates, because our mothers told us to.  Well, you can either waste your waist, or waste the food.  Better yet?  Don't make a large portion.

Where am I eating?  I like a calm place to eat.  I deal with enough stress and anxiety, so I need to eat when I am calm.  Why?  I'll shovel it in if I don't.

How do you eat?  Fast?  Slower?  Are you the first one to finish dinner?  Do you graze when you cook or clean-up?  I eat very slow, enjoying conversation.  Food will always be here, and our loved ones won't.  I'd rather make visiting the main attraction, and not the food.

So, that's my eating.  If you can answer these questions for yourself, and change your relationship with food to a healthy one and not a toxic one, you will most surely find success.

If you really want to know WHAT I eat, stay tuned …
What's up tomorrow?  Exercise!

2 comments:

  1. I am very happy for you Nikki.. I wish Thom were here to see you winning at such a hard thing to do!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so very much, Pat! I didn't see this until just now. I'm sorry to be late in responding!

    ReplyDelete