Tuesday, June 11, 2019

My Support Network

Hello!

Supportive people are a must for successful weight loss.  We all know the type that assist in making  us get fat: critical, hypocritical, mean, selfish people who help you gain weight.  The mean stares, comments, and general judgement of the person who is fat, can cause an obese person to go over the edge, and for me, well it drove me to eat, drink, and lose myself in depression.  I thought there was no way out.  I drove myself to desperation for a change.  So, I changed.  Not without those I love, though!

My family is an immense support, and they ones that aren't I have avoided like the plague.  My stepmom is at the forefront of my weight loss.  She's active, happy, and always encourages me, pushes me, and has kicked my butt hard!  However, she does so only with love, and to accept that, you have to be mature enough to admit you are sick and need help.  That is the hardest part of being obese.  Admitting it.  My daughter is so proud, and she is very attentive, so when I am with her, I feel like a million dollars.  Sisters are an infinite source of support, mostly because as women, we have all struggled with weight issues.  One can never be too thin, (so say many) and even if you are thin, it is never enough for people.  Those that want to will make you feel inadequate just because they can.

My Uncles, of which I have a handful, are immensely helpful with long walks when I see them, and they send texts of encouragement, emails, phone calls, and visits.  My husband is on board, and has lost 85 pounds himself.  We need to be healthy to live out a life together.  My parents have died; my father died at 37 from a heart attack, and my mother at 62 from alcoholism (another reason to quit drinking), and I have had the shadow of death around me since I was 15.  Some family always told me I would die like my father if I didn't lose weight.  Scare tactics don't work, they only make you feel inadequate.

I have a ton of friends that are extremely supportive, from those I see and talk to frequently, and many friends on social media.  One of my student's moms teaches the Zumba class I go to, and is always making me protein drinks before we go to Zumba.  My friends keep me walking and talking.  I did not let people know I was losing weight till they noticed, because it sets you up for failure.  If you announce you are dieting, then expectations are set.  If you don't meet them, then you feel like a failure.  Been there, done that.

I wouldn't be where I am today without support.  It takes a village.  I believe that those who truly love you can be supportive without judgement, because their love is stronger than that.  A good base of those you trust will be better than strangers in a circle, telling all about their problems.  Seriously.  That's just depressing.  Let's not talk and wallow.  Take action!  Just Do It is a good slogan.  Don't give lip service to changing your entire life.  Go with gusto and get it!  Only action will get the results you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment